|The Front Porch||
[POST A REPLY ]
[RETURN TO FRONT PORCH ]
|Date:||8/30/2009 3:28:14 PM|
|Message:||I e-mailed this to the Kennedy family, because the more I thought about Teddy Kennedy, the more I became conscious of how his legislation had directly touched the lives of myself and my family.
I sent this to the Kennedy family as a tribute, but I'd like to share it here:
The closest I came to meeting Sen. Kennedy was as a tourist who happened to pass him as he ran up the steps of the Capitol in 1983. I wish I'd had the chance to meet him.
But his life's work has touched my life in extraordinary ways.
* Because of Sen. Kennedy's Family and Medical Leave Act, I was able to take time off from my job and stay by my Mom's bedside when she was dying of Alzheimer's last fall. I just couldn't have been anywhere else at that time.
* Because of Sen. Kennedy and the Americans With Disabilities Act, my wheelchair-bound Mom and my Aunt Lois (a quadriplegic), were able to go where they needed to go, with wheelchair ramps making services accessible. Handicapped parking spaces helped Mom stay in the mainstream of life when she struggled with her walker before she needed the wheelchair.
* Because of Sen. Kennedy's COBRA legislation, I was able to continue my health insurance when I lost my job. When all else seemed to be crashing around my head, at least I did not have the worry of being sick and being unable to get help.
* Because of Sen. Kennedy's Medicare votes, my parents and older relatives have received lifesaving care which could not have been afforded in any other way.
* Because of Sen. Kennedy's dedication to funding for higher education, the students at the colleges I've worked at all my adult life have been able to afford a good education and to find a way to help themselves build good lives. He did the same for me when I was in college.
There are hundreds of ways in which Sen. Kennedy's work, dedication and political stances have helped me and everyone around me. He will be sorely missed. My heart breaks for his family and for all of us, because I don't think his enthusiasm, determination and courage can be matched on the Senate floor. He was not a senator from my state, but I felt he was everyone's senator.
The Kennedy family is in my prayers again, as it has been so many times over the years. God bless you all.
| "Teddy" by BarbraG at 8/29/2009 9:22:31 PM|
| Re: by Jonmark at 8/29/2009 11:20:57 PM|
| Teddy Kennedy by Ginny G. at 8/30/2009 3:28:14 PM|
| Re: Teddy Kennedy by Bree Wilson Stone at 8/30/2009 8:07:54 PM|
| Re: Teddy Kennedy by Barbrag at 8/30/2009 8:36:31 PM|