New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 164 Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Ailinn
Windchimer

2174 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2018 :  16:38:47  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
"El lugar sin pasos," the gardener said. The place with no footprints. Odd assortment of plants in blue pots on the sills. Little house on the coast with stone patio. Cold summer deck slick with rain. Clouds scuffing the sky that morning. Sea sounds beyond the fog. Photo of him with his back to the sink drinking coffee in black and white. Lantern reflection on the window glistening mystery.
Go to Top of Page

San Diego
Swinger

508 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2018 :  18:10:10  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Well... Salem is always strange. Especially if you're driving through at night. Gloucester, "They that go down to the sea in ships..." Cobbled Newburyport. Salisbury Beach Fun-O-Rama. Fried clam land. Coastal towns narrow zigzag roads. Historical plaques on the houses. White steeple churches. Broken fieldstone fences. Darker air and heavier water. Fireflies and lawn croquet. A game I played in another century. Curtains covering the windows. Smaller, sweeter strawberries. Places where you know Summer ends.
Go to Top of Page

San Diego
Swinger

508 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2018 :  16:19:03  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Ogunquit and Kennebunkport. York Beach Goldenrod Kisses where they make taffy in the window. Cranberry soap in the scrimshaw shop. Fortunes Rocks house where the tide left the Atlantic in the driveway. Clam cakes and lobster rolls. Chowder. Homemade ice cream and whoopee pies. A row across Etherington Pond. The dishes I left behind. (Don't stand there looking so long.) Towns where the past is alive as the present.

Edited by - San Diego on 11/20/2019 14:23:48
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2174 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2018 :  16:29:00  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply

Tourists. Street trees. Kites in the sky. Sun over everything. His white shirt shining turned up at the cuffs. Curb crowded with exotic flowers. Birds of Paradise preparing to fly. His face clean-shaven and open. His eyes so grave when he stops mid stride. Reaches out and takes her sunglasses off. "Don't say anything," he says. Across the boardwalk the tambourine man. His streamers. His colorful racket.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2174 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2018 :  17:46:58  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Fortunes Rocks dark marble. New Wingland, he called it. Fire rings down the beach. Grounded stars. The moon's elliptical pull on the tide. "I'm trying hard not to..." she said. His head tipped back laughing, "hahaha." Flurry of sparks in the air. His high-bridge nose and charcoal-smudge eyebrows. His chin leading with endless questions. "What do you think of...?" he said. She said, "You, Senor. I think only of you."

Edited by - Ailinn on 06/28/2018 00:31:52
Go to Top of Page

Doug L
Firefly

Canada
5446 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2018 :  16:12:52  Show Profile  Visit Doug L's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
She's Persian. A real beauty.
The dark eyes so deep you drown.
Accent from her first language, Azeri.
Grew up in Mashhad, city of mosques.
When the revolution was stolen
she was 22, a goddess in mini-skirts
and bellbottom slacks. Nobody liked it
when the religion took over.
That's what drove her to leave and come
here, to the shores of Iona,
her apartment overlooking the mud flats
her hijab a kite, the wind
lifting her hair like a wing.

DL
Go to Top of Page

Jonmark
Windchimer

USA
1791 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2018 :  06:16:03  Show Profile  Visit Jonmark's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Good to see you, Douglas. Look forward to meeting her someday.
Go to Top of Page

San Diego
Swinger

508 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2018 :  18:09:47  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Doug- Nice to see you here. I remember you two sharing a cookie once. Wishing you both much happiness.
Go to Top of Page

San Diego
Swinger

508 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2018 :  18:13:41  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Horizontal lightning over flat Kansas corn. Chasing the sun on the last flight home. Seat belt sign across most of America. If we exited on the tarmac I'd have kissed the ground.

Edited by - San Diego on 11/20/2019 14:25:50
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2174 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2018 :  16:25:37  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
She's handy with a camera. Knows what to keep in the frame. He doesn't like posed photographs. Spontaneous moments she saves in a box marked Thanksgiving Recipes. Surprises out the window. The sky up late. White flowers in the clouds. "I painted it to slow it down..." he says. One hand waving. One hand shading his eyes.

Edited by - Ailinn on 07/16/2018 18:10:07
Go to Top of Page

Doug L
Firefly

Canada
5446 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2018 :  22:52:53  Show Profile  Visit Doug L's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I had a dog named Banjo and a girl named Muffin
I'd just blew in from Texas and I didn't know nothing
I found my way around this town
with a friend I made named Guy
Who loved Susanna and so did I

Now there was this run down shack on Acklen Avenue
That I shared with Skinny Dennis
And a poet name of Richard Dobson
who had a novel he'd never finish
That's when Johnny Rodriguez, David Olney
and Steve Earle first came through
And every other guitar bum whose name I never knew

Old School Nashville, Harlan Howard, Bob McDill
Tom T Hall go drink your fill and blow us all away

There was this tight-rope-walker
who called herself the queen of Poughkeepsie
Who ran away from the circus
with some roustabout redneck gypsy
They were Townes Van Zandt fans prone to combustion
They fought like dogs in Spanish
and made love in Russian
I wish Newbury and Buck White
would drop on by the house tonight
Things have changed round here, you bet,
but it don't seem much better yet

I first met Willie Nelson with some friends at a party
I was twenty-two years old and he was pushing forty
There was hippies and reefer
and God knows what all
I was drinking pretty hard
I played him this ****ty song I wrote
and puked out in the yard

Old School Nashville, Harlan Howard, Bob McDill
Tom T Hall go drink your fill and blow us all away

Rodney Crowell, 'Nashville 1972'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhZtiNXnCXE
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2174 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2018 :  18:17:51  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply

"There's this place..." she says. "I got lost there." "C'mon..." he says, "...let's see if we can get lost again."
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2174 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2018 :  18:25:28  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thorn gate. No hum from the highway. Rock slide road in a bowl between two mountains. NO TRESPASSING county sign at the dirt junction. A warren of cactus-choked lanes. "What risk...?" he says laughing. The two of them under wide Kodachrome skies. Everything knee-high alive around them. Overhang of tangled branches. The grass greening up like cresses at the edge of the lake. Cast the line in the shelter-shadow places. Let the clouds pass over while you wait. The breathtaking double strike. The irrefutable connection. Prism light on the dusty windshield. Intermittent static on the long ride home.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2174 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2018 :  18:13:58  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Deep water. Mica-flecked air. White rooms with curtains billowing. Gantry cranes across the Bay. Newspapers. Coffee. The toast burnt a little. Elastic clock on the counter. His deep blue presence. His indelible stare, "No rules..." he says..."...jus' start talkin'..."
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2174 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2018 :  18:20:39  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
...big city... But the neighborhood was small. The corner market had hot bread before seven. The beat cop knew the shopkeepers names. You could order one slice of pastrami. A pickle. A piece of cheesecake. Eat it standing on line. Subway stairs down the block. Carbonated blood in the tunnels. Underground thunder when the stations blur by. Sandwich boards on Broadway. Backstage assignations. The Camel man's perfect smoke rings. Headlines on the Zipper. The park trees folded their green jackets in Fall. The sky growled in December. Slush in the gutters. Snow in your boots. The Met Knights in their armor. The one with the star...
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2174 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2018 :  18:37:13  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
"You're thinkin' two things. Think one," he says. The deck broken-in a little. The flex he likes when the cards fly out of his hands, "Now...?" he says. "Eight of hearts," she says. "Good!" he says, "...better. An'...?" "Six of clubs," she says. He nods. "Red two," she says. He says, "Which red two...?" She says, "...can we start over again...?" Distilled memories. Star wine in the Valle de Guadalupe. "How changed?" I ask Santiago. "No more hill," he says in Spanish.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2174 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2018 :  19:32:12  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Sun-shot days. High-heat afternoons. Aqua horizon. Steep sea lavender path. Reckless in dark glasses getting sunburned like everyone else. Months to burn before December. "...you remember...?" he says. "Like gypsies sleep with their feet escaping..." she laughs.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2174 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2018 :  20:06:24  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Midnight on the deck in a fog thick as lambs wool. "Nantucket... Fishermen's tales," she says. "How the place came out of the glacier. Nor'easters. Hurricanes. Ships lost at sea. Crows on the gravestones. Pitted angels. Green flies in the stinging marsh. The widening crack in my dollhouse. The menace in ordinary things. Those too-high steps to Heaven." Sparks in the dark when he puts his cigarette out. A hush when he rises.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2174 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2018 :  17:50:33  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
His endless curiosity. "...ancestors memories...?" he says, "...in us...behind the curtain...?" "Like stars..." she says, "...or handfuls of salt thrown in the oceans. So many ideas down here..." The front legs of his gravity-defying chair come down hard on the kitchen floor. He leans forward, his hands folded between his knees, "...down...?" he says, "You think down...?"
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2174 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2018 :  17:54:35  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Ground fog starting to clear. Sun's delirious appearance. Prime light in the Technicolor Garden. "You an' me, ma'am..." Adam says. So much blue in his eyes in slow July.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 164  Topic Next Topic   Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Mickey Newbury Web Board © 2003 Mickeynewbury.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000