New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 164 Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Ailinn
Windchimer

2173 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2017 :  22:40:15  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply

All the poets across the Border remember his name.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2173 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2017 :  17:53:39  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Sweet summer-stalled late afternoon. Wide view of the combustible horizon. Faraway mountain tops still flashing snow. A light breeze shivering the willows. Enough blue in the sky for a lifetime. Shiny splash when two coins are tossed into the Park fountain winking at each other all the way down. His walk-easy whistle past picnic tables and birthday piñatas. The new pink and blue babies asleep in their prams. "Tell me what you wished for," he says on the way home. Slow sunset. Blushing clouds. An early moon anchoring the rooftop.

Edited by - Ailinn on 06/27/2017 12:20:20
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2173 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2017 :  17:53:50  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
He's on deck stamping his feet. Shaking off the dust of the past. He reaches out with great care and grabs hold of her wrist. She has one foot on the shore and one foot in the ark still rocking. The pelting rain. The roiling waters. The darting minnows fitful flight. The bleached light at the edge of the horizon. (We're there others boarding on a duplicate sea in that profane History?) He's speaking of a future fervently devoted to water. Providential light in the porthole.

Edited by - Ailinn on 10/16/2017 08:34:24
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2173 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2017 :  18:01:16  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Early years. Canyon life in the chilly hills off Mulholland. Mystery and magic and hazardous waste. A racket on trash day with all the barrels rolling down steep driveways. Multinational gardeners rushing to wrangle the strays. Shining neighbors tucked away in the charmed branches clouding the facts correctly. The great chaos beneath glorious stories. In the dark when that hill grew too steep to climb, a boat in the harbor to sleep on. On deck the immutable stars. "The greater the fame the smaller the universe," he said.
Go to Top of Page

Craig
Firefly

Kyrgyzstan
3793 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2017 :  20:06:48  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Summer storms off the gulf bring thunder throughout the night. A gentle, soothing rain accompanies.
Cleansing.
Welcomed.
Comforting.

A break from the hot sweltering heat and humidity of summer.

Conjures up memories of my youth.
Sleeping under the window fan on the screened in back porch.
Street lights eerily shine through the bottles filled with colored water. Many colored shadows.
The gentle rain starts to play rhythmically on the tin roof.
I drift back off to sleep...easily.
Go to Top of Page

Joey L.
Swinger

USA
1383 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2017 :  11:44:17  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
If it's
a heavy rain,
flashes of lightening and
cracking thunder
windshield and crop-splitting hail
you dream of,
we have it all here in South Dakota.

Plenty to spare, with an
occasional 92 mph straight line wind
(whenever we don't see the funnel).

Time to reset the clocks (again).

Inquiring minds knead da dough, y'know! cuz ... 'the Future's Not' ...
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2173 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2017 :  16:43:24  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Craig and Joey, .
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2173 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2017 :  16:46:54  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
She knows the man who is sleeping. His copious notes on the bedside table. His dreaming that leans on invention. The flash of his brush in the morning. His paintings that leave smoke on the walls. In a saucer on the kitchen table... All those delicate washers and springs. History's tokens. Flint-edged and raw.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2173 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2017 :  16:58:45  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
In the beginning all their photographs were blurred. "Counterfeit history," he said, "mystery of time and remembrance." "Well, now..." she said in the darkroom's safelight, "...there's that image of you glancing right... Red as Snow White's bright apple." "Dream logic..." he said. "A ghost singin' in the trees. Blues-moanin' wind through the eaves, baby." Outside, grass char. Sparks on the air. Palms shaking their brittle crowns soon to be wind-broken. The year-round creek turning to a trickle of dust. The rock-rooted cedar anchored to earth. Everything else flying off to OZ.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2173 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2017 :  18:40:57  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
"Start here..." he says, "...start now." "I loved the lurch when the train pulled away. The power of acceleration. I never sat. I liked riding holding onto the pole watching the stations fly by. The melancholy tenements leaving the 125th Street platform. So close you could reach out and touch the geranium-stained window sills blossoming hope. Caffeine-fueled when I was eleven," she says. It's a smoggy evening in a sepia-colored western town where the mountains indiscriminately move. ("Don't worry. It doesn't happen that often," the counterman says.) The night avenue's neon allure is so reminiscent. "The deli's were open all night long. No clash of cultures. The cops and the working girls just trying to make a living..." she says. "The mayor sending his driver for pastrami on rye..." "Keep talkin'," he says, "I'm holding your heart out of harm's way."

Edited by - Ailinn on 10/16/2017 08:36:58
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2173 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2017 :  20:00:09  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
-from Signal Flags. A winter story. Faded denim sky one stormed-stained month. Down the beach the cliffs were eroding. The grotto caves hollowing out under the bluffs. The lifeguard's chairs stacked like grocery carts in the Cardiff parking lot. Slurry of clouds overhead when a king tide undercut the Coast Highway. They watched the lagoon inlet rise and breach the tracks with foam. "...the whole ocean..." he said, "...the ship-full seas...all that water out there..."
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2173 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2017 :  20:02:32  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
The days flow of color. Celestial sometimes. Or achingly stark. How could you expect them to keep track of time when they kept a clock that chimed only the odd hours.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2173 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2017 :  20:30:58  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Each night he pulled the sun down from the treetops. Each morning he flung it back up again.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Z
Windchimer

USA
1819 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2017 :  06:50:44  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Ten years ago, when my daughter turned 18, I gave her the following note. She is a registered nurse now, serving in a coronary unit in the top heart hospital in Indiana. How fitting.

On Megan Turning 18

I’m not sure where to start because we will never end. We have been and always will be a part of each other. Therefore, I know your strengths and understand your weaknesses. We are blessed and cursed with a different way of looking at the world. It will burden you and carry you.

I carried you until you started kindergarten. At malls, festivals and fairs, you would ride atop my shoulders. You would fall asleep up there, and after 3 hours, my upper body would be numb. I never wanted to put you down.

Born on my 40th birthday, you are the best present I ever received. God and your Mom delivered on time, right on schedule.

We have done our best to show you what is right and what is wrong. Along the way, we made mistakes. But we were always there. We were there when you were a princess, and should you fall from grace, we will still be there beside you.

The most important thing a parent can give a child is independence. And Megan, that is the hardest thing for a loving parent to do. We want you to be able to stand on your own, but we do not want you to ever go away.

And soon you will go away… to college and beyond. You will come to know yourself through hard work and failure and success. Pick your friends carefully. Always give them more than you take. When the world turns cold, true friends will keep you warm.

And remember… you can always come home.

Love,

Dad
Go to Top of Page

Craig
Firefly

Kyrgyzstan
3793 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2017 :  18:42:55  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Z

Ten years ago, when my daughter turned 18, I gave her the following note. She is a registered nurse now, serving in a coronary unit in the top heart hospital in Indiana. How fitting.

On Megan Turning 18

I’m not sure where to start because we will never end. We have been and always will be a part of each other. Therefore, I know your strengths and understand your weaknesses. We are blessed and cursed with a different way of looking at the world. It will burden you and carry you.

I carried you until you started kindergarten. At malls, festivals and fairs, you would ride atop my shoulders. You would fall asleep up there, and after 3 hours, my upper body would be numb. I never wanted to put you down.

Born on my 40th birthday, you are the best present I ever received. God and your Mom delivered on time, right on schedule.

We have done our best to show you what is right and what is wrong. Along the way, we made mistakes. But we were always there. We were there when you were a princess, and should you fall from grace, we will still be there beside you.

The most important thing a parent can give a child is independence. And Megan, that is the hardest thing for a loving parent to do. We want you to be able to stand on your own, but we do not want you to ever go away.

And soon you will go away… to college and beyond. You will come to know yourself through hard work and failure and success. Pick your friends carefully. Always give them more than you take. When the world turns cold, true friends will keep you warm.

And remember… you can always come home.

Love,

Dad

:)
Go to Top of Page

San Diego
Swinger

508 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2017 :  09:27:59  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Wonderful! This makes me so happy to see. I've followed Megan's story over the years and know what an accomplishment this is for her. And a sky-high dream come true for her daddy. "...a registered nurse in a coronary unit in a top hospital..." Perfectly fitting.

"I'm not sure where to start because we will never end." Says it all, Joe.

Love you,

Ro
Go to Top of Page

Joe Z
Windchimer

USA
1819 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2017 :  16:07:45  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thanks, Craig and RoRo. You guys help keep me warm.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2173 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2017 :  19:21:48  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
He's leaning over the precipice. No bluff in his game. Nor hers when she stands beside him ready to fall. Their bodies swaying in a last dance or prayer. Shadows on the cliffside eye-level with sparrows. The imperial sky's high-watt blue. The ocean so clear below.

Edited by - Ailinn on 04/09/2019 18:04:27
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2173 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2017 :  19:26:38  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Moonless night in the Badlands under the constellations implacable stare. A flash of banded marble caught her attention and threw her to the desert floor. She leaned on him all the way back to the road limping with a knee full of cinders. He set her up on the counter beside the sink. A needle. A pair of tweezers. A bottle of tequila. A towel. His glasses fogging over with steam.

Edited by - Ailinn on 11/16/2019 16:39:36
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2173 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2017 :  18:05:54  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply

Perfect timing. Fish highways in the whitewash or edge of the sandbar. Set the hook where the current shifts. Dawn or one hour before dusk on an incoming tide. Like the bakery counter where you wait in line with a late number and pray the praline croissants don't run out. "Next!" And a new checkstand opens and you're first in line.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 164  Topic Next Topic   Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Mickey Newbury Web Board © 2003 Mickeynewbury.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000