Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 164 Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Joey L.
Swinger

USA
1383 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2014 :  12:11:59  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Afghanistan?

Inquiring minds knead da dough, y'know! cuz ... 'the Future's Not' ...
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2174 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2014 :  21:41:19  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Under stars they know the change seeping through their clothes. Cool on their desert-warm skin.

"...starburn...starsheen..." he says later in the Airport Café carrying her light carry-on luggage. Crushing kisses up and over the harsh Santa Rosas.

"...the herons...he says, "...coming up out of the marsh behind the house that day...together..."

The clouds are drawn ruler-straight above silver-plated water where she stands at the sundial. Its sail tacking the hours.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2174 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2014 :  18:13:21  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Avenue of escape with Formica table. Boats sliding by a window under a November drawbridge. He loves the idea. "Not many places left in the world where they do this..." he says.

"Well...that was long ago and things change," she says. "Like hell," he says. The hill so slant in dapple light. The harbor so foreign and familiar. When she looks back his face is his still face waiting on every corner. She walks out with her eyes closed. Her hands raised high in surrender.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2174 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2014 :  18:47:25  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply

Adam paces silently over moonlit leaves. Insomnia in the garden. What color are Adam's eyes? What color are Eves? No newspapers to read. No books. No music. No art to incite them. No work. And Adam...so restless. So easily bored. Eve, intrinsically dedicated...but curious. How many hand-holding strolls did they take admiring the lush stars and perfumed flowers? What did their original hearts have in common? Love? Infatuation? Serendipity? (It seems too early for trust.) Were they soul mates...or were they both reeking of sin from the start? Moments they won't recall perilous lifetimes later when they keep meeting for the first time again.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2174 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2014 :  18:53:24  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
One stunning November in the flash-point world. Hot winds licking the leaves. Scalloped stones shimmering in chapped creek beds. "...everything carrying fire..." he said, his eye on the flickering tassel-topped grasses. His boots coming down in the Biblical dust at the first sign of Santa Ana. Smoke and adrenalin. Frisson of fear. "Oh, we've done this before..." he said, hose in hand, soaking the rooftop and each other. Cold in their clothes out of harm's way.
Go to Top of Page

BarbraG
Windchimer

1824 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2014 :  20:12:25  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
It was bio-cold in Northern Florida last night. She sat in her rocker on the porch and gazed up at the moon, shining its angelic glow among the stars. It was rich, this painting in the sky. Someone said that a craft landed on a comet and bounced twice, and now, its batteries are dying. She doubted that. A scenario like that, millions of miles away .... couldn't matter less to her. What mattered was the beating of her fearful heart, thinking that .. one day .. it would stop. Beating.
Go to Top of Page

BarbraG
Windchimer

1824 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2014 :  05:29:18  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
"I'll say it again! Last night, looking out my bedroom window, long after midnight, I saw it behind the tree. It didn't see me. You know I don't believe in ghosts, right? I really don't. Not even now. I'm saying that it looked like the image of a man who resembled John F. Kennedy. It was the way his hair was cut, and the way he walked, back and forth, as if he had the weight of the world on his shoulders. The shadows were playing with his features, and I was hypnotized by the very idea that I might have to give up my belief .. to not believe. Dreaming? Not unless you can dream while drinking a cup of hot coffee. Some say he walks the earth around this time every year. Only around this time, the days near the 22nd of November. I will think about that for a little while today, but ... not for long. There are more important things to think about than the past. It's the future I fear. Yes, I'll say it again. It's the future I fear."
Go to Top of Page

BarbraG
Windchimer

1824 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2014 :  23:11:52  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Her world was shattered in just minutes when he opened his mouth to speak. She had asked him to buy her a beautiful blouse she had seen on TV, and he said no. Shook his head. After a while, she said, "You really won't buy me that blouse?" .. He said, "No"... and then, he began to remind her of all of the things that he had done and was doing for her .. a halfway decent house to live in .. a halfway decent car to drive .. food .. and on and on. Hurt!. That's what hurt feels like. To feel like you have spent years and years with someone you think you know really well, and then .. you realize you never knew him at all. She wanted desperately to buy a lottery card that would give her enough that she could give back every cent he had spent on her "upkeep" for the last 20 years. All that spewed out of his mouth when all she asked for was a gift of love .. revealed that things were not as good in her home as she had thought they were. Lie down. No, sit up. No.. go to sleep even if you have to cry yourself to sleep. No. Won't do that !!! She'll never let him see her cry. It's over. That pure and special love and admiration she had always had for him just flew out of the burning fireplace in her heart. She still loved him, but that special .. special feeling was gone. He could never give that back to her. He had stomped it under his feet with nothing more than his tongue. He had made her feel like a thing ... just a thing. A possession ... like a dog ... just to be taken care of and reminded of its true worth by moving the plate a little out of place when food was put on the floor to eat .. and .. hold back on the water a little, because records were being kept in his head about money that was being spent. A matter of time. Just a matter of time. Time matters. So do matters of the heart. So do ... matters of the heart.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2174 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2014 :  19:43:58  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
-for Javier

Oh, Mexico. So beautiful. So many children. So many guns.
Go to Top of Page

Grania
Rocker

110 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2014 :  20:13:29  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
-for Hank

Light 'em up, blow 'em out.
Hope all your wishes come true.
Go to Top of Page

BarbraG
Windchimer

1824 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2014 :  21:17:22  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
IF things keep going on the way they are in this country, the Native Americans will be able to take THEIR country back !!! Without even so much as a grunt !!! No war paint !! No saddling up the horses to ride !! No scalps taken !! It will be easy ... IF things keep going on the way they are in this country.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2174 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2014 :  18:34:43  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Sunrise shopping. Carlos, the shuttle driver is wiring a wreath to the grill of the bus. McKenna's trying to bribe him with his trademark hard candy. His sweater vest pockets full. He wants to go to Seaside which is not on the "approved market" list. McKenna's written a Yelp review. "Customer service, not lip service, etc..." his blue Bic tucked behind his ear. He wants a photo of himself and Elise at the Taco Tuesday stand. Elise smiles. (Serendipity there.) Robber tells Carlos the shuttle crowd will treat for lunch and send him home with a WHOLE chocolate mousse cake for Maria and the kids. The air is complicitly fragrant with everyone sucking red discs of anise candy.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2174 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2014 :  18:45:00  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
"...iron fences and trees growing out of grates in the sidewalk. A split grid city. A sane point of view. Transportation you could depend on. I showed up on time with no stage Mom in tow. An asset in an industry with a short list of skills. Don't sweat. Don't scratch. Don't sneeze. And for God's sake, don't wrinkle the clothes! I had a caseworker I never saw in six years. Her name was Cliona McRooney. I imagined her in tweed and brown oxfords, her hair in a tidy bun. I appeared calm in front of grownups. It reassured them. It let me get on with what I needed to do." "Get away with, you mean..." he says, narrowing his eyes and raising his eyebrows, but he's still on her side.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2174 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2014 :  18:55:07  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
"More fun than a basket of puppies," McKenna says of Rosheen and Lorcan Rye. AKA Scrapper and Mr. Stilts. He turned two December 2nd and she's a year and three months...but the plot is already hatching. I watch them talk with their eyes. She's willful and fearless. He wants to save her. She discovered Mommy's make-up this morning. In her new "Christmas Family Photo" dress. Chin up, with lipsticked eyes and cheeks, she waved away his blanket. Ah, Mr. Stilts, I do feel for you.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2174 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2014 :  18:27:58  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
A chilly evening in the twentieth century. They're eating street tacos under a swirl of white stars. Bannered flags over the Mercado. Tourists with credit cards bargaining. Hammered gold earrings. Hand-blown glass. A gemstone Madonna at the check out stand. MasterCard or Visa?

Who's asking the questions at the Blue Shade Motel? Let's see some ID, the guard says. Dawn light through the louvers. Last night's captured dream. Slow days. So much sun.

West-facing windows. Waves beyond fog. Bellwether of things to come. Who are you really? she says.

Angels with Michelangelo noses patrolling the deep end of the pool. And so.

High-steppin' nights in the dirt floor cantinas. Shifting hips sliding in and out of the songs. Flickering candles in iron candlesticks. A saucer of limes on the table.

...now the stars come all night, faintly heard. A wayward whispering. "...what we are...what we know...what we remember..." he says. His indelible words with their long reach disturbing her sleep.

Go to Top of Page

BarbraG
Windchimer

1824 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2014 :  20:40:04  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
She stomped her feet into the ground in anger at her brother, who had died a year before. She said, "He stood right here and told me that this land would never go to anyone else, that it would stay in the family !!! I'm MAD at him !!! I am so mad at him!!" I watched her grief overtake her and watched her lose complete control of all that she is today. I could do nothing to comfort her, because I was mad at him, too ! My sister and I stood together, and took the flag down from the pole that he had raised himself. It was tattered and torn, and ripped by the wind of the last year. But, I wanted it. I wanted it to keep as a final memory of the land that Mom meant for us to have ... Yes, I have the flag... but, the land .... is gone with the wind.

Edited by - BarbraG on 12/11/2014 20:42:02
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2174 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2014 :  20:00:04  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
She says, "Mulholland is wild. A divine road that steals." He says, "I'm holding your heart out of harm's way." Fairytale trails above the mythic Pacific. Winter-streaked rose-lit sky. A wall of water rushing into mystery-riven canyons. A wheel barrow full of sandbags in the garage. Sometimes he falls asleep in his clothes remembering arcane Eden.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2174 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2014 :  21:37:16  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Footsteps in the parallel world. Criss-crossed and sea-changed. Two foam-edged oceans with blue skies and contagious candles. He loves the climates beyond shuttered windows. Coral sunsets. The palms wind-swayed blades. Salt-dusted shells shivering on fish line. No absurd sorrow. No glittering grief.
Go to Top of Page

BarbraG
Windchimer

1824 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2014 :  00:22:26  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Caution ! when the wind is storming in like an eagle landing in the lake, it is time to stand still. Trouble in the inner, trouble in the outer, and trouble in the in-between. Stall. Keep stalling. Make a little love, and listen to a little music. Put things you fear on a very back burner for a little while. The horses will be here soon enough, carrying the outlaws into the front yard and up the steps of the house that you built with your own hands. Make ready your guns .. for .. theirs will be loaded ! Don't be afraid. Just do what you have to do. And, survive !! God's got your back !
Go to Top of Page

BarbraG
Windchimer

1824 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2015 :  23:00:23  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Strange .. I don't remember writing the post from December 20th... L.O.L. .. Seriously. About the wind and the eagle landing in the lake ... and the horses going up the stairs ... Maybe that was 10mg of Ambien instead of 5 !!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 164  Topic Next Topic   Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Mickey Newbury Web Board © 2003 Mickeynewbury.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000