New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 164 Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Ailinn
Windchimer

2174 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2014 :  23:44:01  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
...jut another night waiting to cross. Symphony of out of sync sirens. Mismatched uniforms. Iridescent exhaust stinging the air. "Anything to declare?" after two hours of blaring Mariachi.
Go to Top of Page

buckman
Firefly

USA
2820 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2014 :  00:21:03  Show Profile  Visit buckman's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
[FOR RO]

LA RUE DES BLANCS MANTEAUX by Doug Lang

If you ever go to Paris
If you've got the bucks to go
There's a little church you've got to find
On La Rue des blancs Manteaux
Forget the whores of Montmartre
The flame-blower's parade
Leave those wild Moroccan joints
And Jacques' pinball arcade
And the gargoyles of Notre Dame
Papa's tired café
Leave all of those side-trips
For another day
'Cause there's a blind man playing saxophone
You've got to hear him blow
He plays inside that little church

He said his name was Reuben
This lanky Capetown man
Said he knew Abdullah Ibrahim
When he was Dollar Brand
And Miriam Makeba, yeah
Hugh Masekela too
Said he met the great Duke Ellington
Back in 1962
Exiled in Europe to escape
The murder and the poverty
Played the Paris underground
Until they set Mandela free
And the priest gave him a church key
Said 'You're free to come and go'
Free to play his Capetown song

I was traveling with Sandra
We'd come north, up from Dijon
Drank wine the whole way on the train
Bontemps tout les temps
Got a cheap room in the Quarter
Above the Cuban club
Those drummers played 'till every skin
Was smeared with drops of blood
And we walked across the bridges
Peeked into the Moulin Rouge
Said hello to Mona Lisa
Saw old men carve the blues
But the greatest song I ever heard
Or maybe ever will, I know
Came from the man who had no eyes

Reuben played the alto
Played so joyous, self-assured
Butter tones of Johnny Hodges
Mad filigree of Bird
But when he played it native
That Capetown homeboy jive
His eyebrows were like archways
That old man came alive
Written by Doug Lang Copyright SOCAN ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

A NEW RECORDING - [11 years late.....]
La Rue des Blanc-Manteaux
Written by Doug Lang
Spoken by Hank Beukema

http://youtu.be/1GtxjV6cxtA

and the original and only true version of this mighty song:
http://youtu.be/DLAhVCb73Ns

Edited by - buckman on 08/02/2014 00:24:21
Go to Top of Page

buckman
Firefly

USA
2820 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2014 :  00:33:51  Show Profile  Visit buckman's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Ailinn, what is left of my heart you have it....

Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2174 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2014 :  17:04:32  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Merci, dear Reverend B. Thank you for your kindness posting the words. A pleasure to see on the page. What is left of your heart is...more than most. Every day...much love from the other side.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2174 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2014 :  17:23:47  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I'm wary of apples. Forbidden fruit I imagine red. Not Granny Smith. Old-fashioned apples. Taste like Macs. Look like Delicious. In mountains I smell apple perfume. Feel twigs breaking beneath my bare feet. Fig leaves scratching my cheeks as I'm running out of The Garden holding his hand. Adam's. God's hand-made stepson who asked for me. Free will. He should have known better. I watch the traffic on State Route 78 heading toward the orchards in Julian...famous for pie! I research that high town's history looking for a sign. I save all the pictures of him and the rare few of the two of us together.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2174 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2014 :  15:13:24  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Off early today. Lunch with an old friend.

Well... I was raised in Catholic orphanages and boarding schools. The refectory walls were scenes of the Virgin Martyrs. I ran away often. The holy Sisters made me kneel on rice for Penance. Or they sent me to Monsignor's office. Monsignor was a Navy Chaplin when he was young. He had many pictures of boats, but no martyrs. He was kind and absent-minded. He'd hand me a stack of LIFE magazines and set a kitchen timer to remind him I was there. He had a bottle with a sailing ship on his desk. The sun coming through the windows made the ship's shadow bigger and wavering on the wall. He gave me a tiny tin of Walker's Shortbread Biscuits one Easter which I hid in my uniform pocket. My friend asks me if I'm still Catholic. Yes, I say...and my eyes are still brown.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Z
Windchimer

USA
1819 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2014 :  13:10:02  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
A psychedelic ride on a Newbury song... performed by The Uniques

http://www.colnelcrazyrecords.com/748.mp3
Go to Top of Page

San Diego
Swinger

508 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2014 :  17:58:45  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Oh, my gosh, Joe. Where do you find these things?!

My new reading glasses are waiting on Number II.

Love you,

Ro

Edited by - San Diego on 10/05/2014 16:45:51
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2174 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2014 :  18:05:44  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
How wild he was when he pulled the chopsticks out of her hair. Let it fly out the window with the detective's tale undone. Stuck-up, he called her. Hahaha.
Go to Top of Page

Karen Runk
Firefly

USA
4925 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2014 :  18:48:37  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Send Karen Runk an AOL message  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Z

A psychedelic ride on a Newbury song... performed by The Uniques

http://www.colnelcrazyrecords.com/748.mp3

I've not heard this song before. where DID you find it???

Karen Runk
Go to Top of Page

Joe Z
Windchimer

USA
1819 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2014 :  19:34:09  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello Ladies,

The name of the song is "I Sure Feel More (Like I Do Than I Did When I Got Here)." The Uniques were a Louisiana band, which featured Joe Stampley.

Love ya,

Joe

Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2174 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2014 :  18:36:48  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
"Hey, hey, hey! You just go all over the place," she said, the first time she heard one of his stories. "I saw things change," he said. It was a windy season in a city more his than hers. Often colder inside than out. Curtains lifting from the sill and flames flickering the burners though the kitchen windows were closed. They'd come home and slip on another layer of clothes and stand at the stove eating chowder. Their two spoons scraping the bottom of the pan. Outside scarlet geraniums thrived. How the nights fell down around them.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2174 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2014 :  16:00:57  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Sunday breakfast at Sunrise Retirement. Grain breads and granola. Eggs and make-believe eggs. The new widow, colossal with grief. (What to do...what to say...? Hold her hands.) "Is the air conditioning too cold for you?" I ask. A shawl in her lap she holds onto like a life preserver. I drape it across her small shoulders and give Robber the tea sign. Hot! With honey. Robber (Roberta Barron) could run this place single-handedly. Instinctively on alert. Inherently kind. And her entertaining tattoos need looooonng explanations. Later Marco will appear with the WELCOME cake.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2174 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2014 :  19:48:24  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
"I know everything about you," he says, before she knows him one hour, "...come back tomorrow..." and he quick-steps across some cracks in the sidewalk as the fault line shivers beneath him, "...ya see what I'm sayin'?" he says, "hahaha." His today always has some yesterday in it.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2174 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2014 :  19:51:47  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Nights in the limo under low stars. Her rustling silk skirts. His dark suit lapels. A world sliding by tinted windows. Denny's on Sunset. Lou D's maple butter with muffins to go. Call ahead and he runs it out to the curb.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2174 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2014 :  19:57:37  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Cheery guide popping Swedish Fish into her mouth taking them down under the dam. Tour busses and boats and Lake Mead above them. Winged Figures of the Republic keychain he slips into her pocket because she loves the road. "...save it all...save it all..." his creed.

I watched the crows in the parking lot this morning. Mythic Motel getting a 21st Century facelift.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2174 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2014 :  17:54:06  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Sunday morning brunch. Lucille, Yolanda, and Claire, (the new widow),
reading their LA Times horoscopes out loud and honeying up their biscuits. Lots of cars in the parking lot with party pinatas. Grand and great-grand children spilling orange juice in the Day Room.

Later: "...glass of wine, OK? Margarita?" Big grin. Robber's plating "Cardiff Crack" from Seaside Market. My son and daughter-in-law decorating desserts. In love with squeegee bottles.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2174 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2014 :  18:07:20  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
She's watching him watch sea birds touch down on a weather-worn deck in September. He's telling three-masted stories. Charting his way on some uncharted ocean. Diaphanous light unspooling. Acid-etched clouds. Clear edges like glass. Blue-domed sky blinking through.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2174 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2014 :  18:13:56  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
"This ocean... I knew it before I knew you," she says, "it's coldness." "Wrong on both counts," he says, "hahaha..." And certainly it's warm where they are. Their salt-dusted skin burning quicker. He says the orchid light at sunset is worth it. So many words with sails and a blurred moon silvering the horizon. Sometime in the night he kicks the covers free and sleeps with his feet escaping. Her sunburn shivers then.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2174 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2014 :  20:10:35  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Sometimes she wakes up in the middle of the night and he is beside her under white sheets. "White sheets..." he says, "the better to see you dreaming." "Red Riding Hood," she says. He says, "Who...?"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 164  Topic Next Topic   Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Mickey Newbury Web Board © 2003 Mickeynewbury.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000