New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 164 Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Ailinn
Windchimer

2173 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2014 :  18:15:20  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
-for Mick.

I was thirteen and living in the Commodore Hotel above Grand Central. The big three were Ford, Conover, and Powers. I worked for Conover. My picture on the cover of magazines. Christmas issue Peter Pan collar with halo over my head. Holding a book of carols with my mouth in a little O. I'd pass the news stand and see that girl and imagine her house in the country and big noisy family. I named her older brother Ted after a photographer at Pagano Studios who kept a fishbowl full of candy bars. My irritating sister was Monique whose mother was always on set lunging with a can of Aqua Net. Her cloud of flammable vapor in a room full of Klieg lights. Star was the makeup lady who drew on my face. MaXFactor Pan Stick her camouflage of choice. Star kept a "secret weapon" hidden in her smock pocket. A greasepaint called Clown White that made your eyes camera-bright. Star wore bangle bracelets and smoked Parliament cigarettes. She had a boyfriend who worked in the Terminal and a daughter who played cello at Julliard. I was a good model. I could stay still in an awkward position for a very long time. "Don't sweat, don't scratch, don't sneeze." Take your chit to the pay window and get it in cash. Clean up and hit Horn and Hardart...

He loved this story. Many versions. "I can see it..." he'd say, and start with his twenty questions. Where I was born wasn't the first question he asked me. "Manhattan," I said. "Oh, Lord," he said, "OH, LORD!" Days gone by. Smell of Pond's Cold Cream... Scent like a photograph.

Edited by - Ailinn on 02/26/2014 20:53:32
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2173 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2014 :  14:32:42  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Friday night at Sunrise Retirement Home.

Lu- "...surely them pearly gates will be open for me 'cause the life I endured made me worthy. We were married right outta High School, my Tommy and me. Rented a railroad flat in a tenement his aunt and uncle owned. Aunt by blood, and uncle by squirrely. We had the top floor above them and I told Tommy they probably held a glass to the ceiling when the lights went out. They kept fish and parakeets that died right away. The birds went out in shoe boxes. My in-laws kept fish too. The bowl so cloudy I never saw fish 'til the day I tapped on the glass with my new engagement ring. I worked in his folks hardware store a dozen years. I wanted to wallpaper my kitchen and was flippin' through the big books when Tommy's Ma says, "Pick from the barrel, Lucille." A huge wooden barrel with off-print seconds. Twenty-five cents a roll. Let them take it outta my wages, I told Tommy, I want what I want. But Tommy said they were offerin' the barrel for free and I couldn't offend them. We were married forty-one years when he passed in '98. I realized how angry I was when I stopped going to sleep in his tee shirts."

Yoli- "He had a limp. He was easy to see coming to me." She's speaking of a time in another country where men worked on site all week long and were let off half-day Saturdays. How she would pick him up in the truck and they'd drive the hour home to share bolillos and bowls of pozole. "Later we drink Antonio's salty wine and have a bath with candles."

Lucille and Yolanda. Two women in felt slippers in the Day Room splitting buttermilk bars from Cove Bakery.

One of Mick's favorite meals was grilled cheese sandwiches and Campbell's Tomato soup. The last supper we had in San Diego when Mick, Susie, and Laura were on their way to Texas. "Newbury Gourmet," Mick called it. Cameron said the blessing. He was six, and at the end he added "...and please, God, take that thing out of Uncle Mickey's nose." "Amen," Mick said. He was an inventive cook with daring kitchen instincts. Off-the-wall combinations that worked. He tweaked my Thanksgiving menu many years. I said, Mick, you could be a great chef. "I know," he said, "hahaha."

Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2173 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2014 :  21:38:14  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
On the new way to Ensenada. Always a guy in a black leather vest with a carbine slung over his shoulder. Bandolier bullets. Black Talon ammo. All those blue nights slow dances trip-wired.
Go to Top of Page

buckman
Firefly

USA
2820 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2014 :  03:01:39  Show Profile  Visit buckman's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
For Ailinn

Effortlessly she paints.
Moonbeams from other planets.
Sounds from a future passed.
Colors remembered from dreams.
Stories from astral travels.
Windchimes with no breeze.

A taste not recognized, but pleasing.

All things considered...

Rev Buckman ~*~

Edited by - buckman on 03/27/2014 03:01:59
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2173 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2014 :  20:16:21  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thank you, Reverend B, my dear friend and traveling brother for more than a decade. I miss you and hope you are well. Love from the other side.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2173 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2014 :  20:25:22  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hide-and-seek house in the Valle de Guadalupe at the end of an unpaved road. A house with no right angles. Arches and alcoves. A bygone shrine with faded paper flowers. God's Eyes bright on the beams and three tall Virgin votives in the window. Wavery glass makes a double image looking out and looking in. She watches him digging post holes beside his equally able twin. Their movements indivisibly efficient. She sits on the porch step with her arms wrapped around her knees when he washes up for supper. The well is deep and the water he flings from his fingertips is icy cold. Later he pulls quilts from the bed to spread on the metal glider. A short run of moonlight paling the vineyard and then the astonishing stars.
Go to Top of Page

buckman
Firefly

USA
2820 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2014 :  16:43:10  Show Profile  Visit buckman's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
BUT

Sometimes we live like the world is
always going to be black and white
But,
then we age and we spend
most of our time living in the grays.
We tread those center lines,
walk the razor's edge and
Do our best just to get through the days.

It wasn't but a few years ago when
Just a glimmer would draw me to a flame
But, now these days even a raging fire doesn't
Get me close to even watching the game.

But,
There isn't a name for it
And there's no one to blame for it,
It's just time going by all the same.
If I could reach out and grab it
And just stop the tick of it
Maybe then I could remember my name.

They say we need faith and hope to get by,
But
It's hard
When deep down you can't forgive yourself a thing
You always thought there was plenty of time
Before you had to climb the stairs to that final fling.

But,
Don't the nights get so cold
And the news gets so old
And nothing ever seems to rhyme
And just stop the noise of it
Maybe I could remember the time.

But,
Maybe then I could remember my name.

Rev Buckman - http://youtu.be/_OLTJgtzclQ
Go to Top of Page

Jonmark
Windchimer

USA
1791 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2014 :  18:45:28  Show Profile  Visit Jonmark's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
"But,
Maybe then I could remember my name."

Amen, Rev.
So... are you ever going to get your gifted sorry ass to a gathering?
We're dropping like flies doncha know...
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2173 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2014 :  09:07:17  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
In a slanted rain they rushed up the hill with their collars pulled up tight under their chins. When they reached the high-step house he invented suddenly the sun broke through. All that falling-down Shangrila light. "...roof of rainbows..." he said, "...count on weather to do its job."
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2173 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2014 :  09:56:20  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
It's a story of rental cars lost in airport garages. Glass-edged freeways and the green arches of Eden-like trees. Abalone light on late afternoon Café tables. Clouds caught in the spokes of an alphabet bridge.
Go to Top of Page

buckman
Firefly

USA
2820 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2014 :  17:00:55  Show Profile  Visit buckman's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
There's a story or two he could tell you
But he'll never get the time
He woke up late one morning
And the years had robbed him blind.
The shame and regret caught up with him
Like a Hellhound on his trail,
When she slammed the door, the sound he heard
Was the pounding of that last nail.

His parents always taught him
Walk tall, face life like a man
But
The winds of change blew one time too many
Life crumbled in his hands.

There's a story or two she could tell you
But he never gave her the chance
She woke up early one morning
And found they were dancing a different dance.
Lies and broken promises stole her heart
Like a thief that came in the night
She woke up that same morning
Across the fields she saw the light.

Her parents always taught her
Stand tall and love your man
But
Life crumbled in her hands

There's a story or two they could tell you
About pride and lies and years
They woke up one morning in different beds
Drowning in the same damn tears.
Lies and broken promises stole their hearts
Like a thief that came in the night
They woke up late one morning
Different paths and a different light.

Their parents always taught them
Stand tall, enjoy the dance
But
Life crumbled in their hands.

Hank Beukema Copyright revbuckmanmusic 2014
http://youtu.be/0qMcjpzkfu4
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2173 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2014 :  11:29:25  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
He's at the wheel off the holy coastline on a Winslow Homer sea. Storm-smudged eyes and journey-driven profile. Determined to bring the ship in. His fate-burdened shoulders. His melancholy right eye when his mouth settles into that bereft expression. She's in a white-washed room in a candlelit corner at the ocean end of town. A pastel courtyard. A postcard view. A life preserver floating in an aquamarine pool. "...so many forevers..." he said.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2173 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2014 :  11:40:48  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
She said, "Love, love is a feeling with fear in it." He said, "I'm holding your heart out of harm's way." Contagious candles behind shuttered windows. Litany of tides to enchant them.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2173 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2014 :  22:26:29  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
In the Valle de Guadalupe soot-smudged votives on the sill. A frayed carpet with a worn-away pattern where the matador prayed pacing in circles before entering the ring. Paper flowers on a San Pedro Regalado shrine abandoned a decade ago. In a dark corner of the old wardrobe they found the bullfighter's pink stockings and soft leather shoes. They did not disturb them. Surprised the shoes were so small.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2173 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2014 :  18:02:25  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Dark clocks and empty closets waiting for his black umbrella and her waterlogged bell-tied shoes. Ghosts waiting in the foyer. Silver dollar sandwiches. Typhoo tea. Cups translucent as their cheekbones now that they're free.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2173 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2014 :  19:40:07  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
High-back booth in a low watt corner the Summer she didn't wear shoes. Salty kisses and ice cold beer. The rubies he hammered into her ears glistening like flares on a runway. "...gold buttercup setting..." he said. His mischief a market to mine on the sand-blown Boulevard. Sky high and brazen blue the way he liked it.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2173 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2014 :  17:36:53  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Sunday morning mall. Rush of Technicolor tutus across the parking lot. Miniature ballerinas. Plies' at the barre. Floor to ceiling pirouetting view. A Starbucks around the corner and a western-theme carousel. Seatbelts for the smallest buckaroos who wave and ride no-handed.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2173 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2014 :  17:05:34  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Once I spoke with no one but I wasn't lonely. At the orphanage the food was horrid. I worked in the kitchen so I knew. Five gallon cans with two inches of fat on top. Of everything. I made toast in the oven and a dime worked the Coke machine. The Ladies Auxiliary kept Ritz crackers and Welsh's grape jelly in the refectory. I'd sneak in and sit on an upside-down bucket eating crackers and jelly and drawing on my knees with red pencil. When I stopped wearing a raincoat over pajamas and wore my uniform to 6am Mass I was allowedkitchen AND refectory chores. By then they had added peanut butter.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2173 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2014 :  17:12:20  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Shards of brittle light glinting off the desert reflected in tinted windshield. Tunnel of dust cyclone fluting out behind elbows angled on both sides of four-wheel drive drawing the sun in like magnets. Sky high or closing in. Slate or indigo. Blue nights. Moths beating dusty wings on all-night gas pumps. Neon beer. Coca-Cola. Ice. I sit spine-bowed. Fingers laced over knees against the dashboard. Intermittent static. AM music flying in. Your sweat-stained cowboy hat pulled low. You think you look like anybody else and grin it.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2173 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2014 :  20:15:03  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I often dream you are here. Many anointed mornings. The tricky toaster tossing toast across the kitchen table. You catching it mid-air. "Hot! Hot! Hot!" Spreading sticky fig jam. Licking the knife and your fingers. Electricity making a racket. Washer, dryer. Rainbird sprinklers striking the wind chimes every third time around.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 164  Topic Next Topic   Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Mickey Newbury Web Board © 2003 Mickeynewbury.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000